Ocho Rios or Las Chorreras (the waterfalls in Spanish) is a pretty resort town whose main attraction is, as the name itself suggests, are stunning waterfalls. Then there are the beautiful beaches and interesting colonial-period buildings that are well worth a visit. Ocho Rios boasts of one of Jamaica's most famous tourist attractions, the Dunn's River Falls.
The popularity of Ocho Rios as a major tourist destination in Jamaica can also be attributed to the fact that it is idyllically located about one and a half to two hours from every major town in Jamaica and is the only town that borders five of the island's most interesting parishes. Given the large number of tourists who flock here there is a wide array of accommodations available, the most notable being the exclusive Ocho Rios apartments perfect for all tastes and budgets.
The Jamaican apartments are situated amidst breathtakingly beautiful surroundings and provide convenient access to some of Jamaica’s most sought after attractions, some of which are:
• Dunn's River Falls: The Dunn's River cascades over the rock terraces over to the sea and a beautiful beach. You can climb up the stepping stones leading to the water fall and stand under a stimulating shower. There is a Dunn's River feast every week with dancing, music, and swimming.
• Dolphin Cove: You can enjoy a fun filled day swimming with the dolphins. This is without doubt one of the premier attractions in Jamaica.
• Fishing and boating: The beach at Island Village is relatively undeveloped and is perfect for soaking in the sun and lazing away the hours. If you are looking for something more adventurous, the beach also offers a full range of activities.
• Prospect Plantation: Go horseback riding to discover the scenic trail or simply enjoy the tour of this working plantation.
• Green Grotto Caves: Explore these historic caves with a crystal-clear lake at the bottom located between Discovery and Runaway Bays. The first Jamaicans, the Arawak Indians are believed to have found shelter here, a fact that is backed by the multiple fragments of pottery and adzes that have been unearthed from time to time.
• Golfing at Sandals Golf & Country Club: The course is located in the hills just above the eastern end of the Ocho Rios area. It has narrow fairways and offers a challenging test of your game in a spectacular setting.